Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Christmas Carol

Holiday books and movies are one of the delights of the holiday season. This year I've caught two versions of A Christmas Carol, not quite Regency, but close enough for this Historical Author.

I just watched Scrooge (1970) with Albert Finney, the musical version of A Christmas Carol, which I quite enjoyed for the singing and dancing. I especially like the song "Thank You Very Much," but Finney is just not the Scrooge of my imagination. 

Another version of A Christmas Carol playing on TV this season is the 1984 version, featuring George C. Scott, who is a very effective Scrooge. I watched this one back to back with Scrooge and liked that the dialogue was the same in places. I haven't read A Christmas Carol for many years, but am guessing I was hearing Dickens' words. 

Neither of these versions are as gratifying to me as the 1951 movie starring Alistair Sim. This black and white version is how I think of A Christmas Carol, probably because this is the version I watched as a child. 

I have not seen the Jim Carrey version. Or the Patrick Stewart version. But I do enjoy the Bill Murray version even though it takes place in modern times.

My favorite, though, is also not historical. It is the Vanessa Williams version, A Diva's Christmas Carol. I'm not sure why. Maybe because it is from a woman's point of view. I just love the ending of this movie!

The Internet Database lists 47 titles adapted from Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, including A Barbie Christmas Carol, The Muppet Christmas Carol, and A Smurfs Christmas Carol. 

Which version is your favorite?

Don't forget...the Harlequin Historical Authors Holiday Giveaway continues, but only for today, tomorrow and Thursday,  three more chances for daily prizes. On Dec 23 we'll randomly pick the winner of the grand prize--a Kindle Fire. Use the calendar here to catch up on any missed days to give yourself the best chance of winning. 

And be sure to read this year's Harlequin Historical anthologies, Snowflakes and Stetsons, Gift-Wrapped Governess, and Coming Home for Christmas, as well as our other Christmas books. 

Happy Holidays to all of you!!!

7 comments:

Patti P said...

Thank you for hosting.

penney said...

I love Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol I've read it many times and seen the movies!
Thank you all for all these contests I have enjoyed them all plus meet some wonderful Authors so I have new books by them coming in soon!
Merry Christmas to you all!
Penney

mcv said...

I like the Albert Finney version. Haven't had time to watch any so far this season. Maybe in the next day or two.

catslady said...

I don't really know lol. I've seen many versions and seem to enjoy them all! Happy Holidays everyone!

Tracy M. Thurber said...

If you ever get the chance to see the Chuck Jones-produced, Richard Williams-directed animated version, please do. It is a remarkable little gem, beautifully and eerily drawn, that manages to pack in everything you'd want and more, all in less than 30 minutes. It also features Albert Finney in his only filmed reprise of his most famous role. Michael Redgrave narrates. Tiny Tim is the most realistically portrayed small child of any version. And, oh yes, it bears a distinction that no others share: It won an Academy Award. Truly unique and well worth one's time!

TMT said...

Sorry, I meant Alistair Sim in my previous comment!

Unknown said...

I agree the original 1951 version is the best, but I love to watch them all. Also, both the Bill Murray & Muppets versions have a special place in my heart.

Tonight I'll be watching my other favorite Christmas movie: Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby & Fred Astaire.

drainbamaged.gyzmo at gmail.com